BRISTOL ACCOMMODATION : ACCOMMODATION


BRISTOL ACCOMMODATION : AIRPORT HOTEL PARKING DEALS : LBI HOTELS AND MOTELS.



Bristol Accommodation





bristol accommodation






    accommodation
  • in the theories of Jean Piaget: the modification of internal representations in order to accommodate a changing knowledge of reality

  • a settlement of differences; "they reached an accommodation with Japan"

  • The available space for occupants in a building, vehicle, or vessel

  • A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay

  • Lodging; room and board

  • adjustment: making or becoming suitable; adjusting to circumstances





    bristol
  • An industrial city and township in west central Connecticut; pop. 60,062

  • A township in southeastern Pennsylvania, on the Delaware River; pop. 55,521

  • A city in southwestern England; pop. 370,300. It is located on the Avon River about 6 miles (10 km) from the Bristol Channel

  • Bristol+ is a partnership board made up of media, creative and technology professionals, politicians and local government officers in Bristol, England.

  • an industrial city and port in southwestern England near the mouth of the River Avon

  • Bristol is a city, unitary authority area and ceremonial county in South West England, west of London, and east of Cardiff. With an estimated population of 433,100 for the unitary authority in 2009,











Greyhound Hotel Broadmead Bristol BS1




Greyhound Hotel Broadmead Bristol BS1





The former Greyhound Hotel in Bristol's Broadmead area, once a busy coaching inn later demolished, frontage still standing today.

The house on the right, also with a stagecoach entrance, had the old stables behind until 1931. This photograph was taken in late August 1939 just before the last resident left, (me). It survived empty until 1953 and was demolished for the new shopping street.

This fine inn was first erected in 1620 though most of its original features have failed to survive the numerous alterations which it has undergone. Try then to visualise its past importance as a large coaching inn with extensive stabling yards at the back; it was so important in fact that John Rocque’s map of Bristol in 1750 indicated it as "The Greyhound Inn, a large building in Broadmead."

The Greyhound is one of the few inns which still has a central drive-in, once open to the sky, where coach passengers were taken straight through to the heart of the inn, thus enabling luggage to be handed up to the bedrooms and avoiding difficult stairs. ]

This flat-stoned driveway is still retained though a slatted roof has been so constructed that its original purpose has been lost. Today, the place is littered with small tables and striped umbrellas to provide more drinking space, quite alien to the inn’s intention. The old coach office and servants’ accommodation at ground floor level have all gone and small, identical, modern bars have taken their place.

The frontage of the inn is one of the most well-known in Bristol. Originally constructed of timber-frame, it was first rendered in the eighteenth century and took on the familiar shape of today.

When the Broadmead area was rebuilt in the 1950s, this inn was retained as being of historic value. In 1958 however it was decided to insert shops in the ground floor where the coach offices and quarters had been, and this put too great a strain on the old building.

The whole of the frontage had to be rebuilt, fortunately in exact replica. The central carriageway, the strong but simple main door, the early eighteenth century sash-windows with glazing bars were all retained.

To the left of the present building there was another inn in 1775 called the Bell,, later re-named the Birmingham. Eventually both houses were joined and the Greyhound extended its rooms.

By the late nineteenth century this other building was used as a Post Office and it remained so until completely destroyed in the ‘blitz’. That same blitz saw the destruction of two other old inns just opposite the Greyhound~, the Antelope and the Armada which were never rebuilt.

It is not certain when the Greyhouund was actually licensed but we do know that it has been of great importance in Bristol life.

The 1800 Guide tells us that waggons left for London three times a week and daily for places like Chippenham and Gloucester. It also advertised, "a caravan leaves for Thornbury."

Before Fairfax Street was covered over, the open water of the Frome ran past the back door of the Greyhound through an arch under Union Street. Opposite this back entrance to the inn was the old Newgate Prison, its bastions rising from the water’s edge. Today shops and trading courtyards replace the old landscape.

There was once room behind the inn for large stabling which by the 1880’s was used by the Bristol Carriage Company as Livery and Bait Stables. The back wall of the inn still has the high hay-loft doors but the post-war development of Broadmead used up all the space behind the inn and it lost its back entrance.

The Greyhound was obviously an important place in the area and there have been some notable names associated with it. The painter Turner stayed in 1791 with his friend John Narrowby, who lived just a few doors away and he would have used the inn as his ‘local’.

The inn was also the scene of the capture of the local highwayman, "Dick Boy" Richard Caines, leader of the notorious Cock Road Gang who preyed on travellers on the Bath Road. One night in 1808 he was found nursing a broken ankle in the attic, arrested and later hanged on Highbury Hill.

By 1824 the Greyhound was the meeting place for the supporters of parliamentary candidates when a notice announced that, "The Freemen of these Parishes for the interests of Mr Bright are particularly requested to meet at the Greyhound; Broadmead, tomorrow morning at eight o’clock to receive their cockades."

There are two historic landmarks opposite the inn which did survive the ‘blitz’. The Arcade was built in 1824 as a covered shopping way for the owners of the new houses in the vicinity.

It is complete in every detail as originally built with attractive bow-fronted shops and an entrance flanked by fluted ionic columns, and so for many it is more satisfying than the better-known Burlington Arcade.

Next to the Arcade is the New Room, the first Methodist Chapel in the world. John Wesley recorded in his journal of May 9, 1793, "we











Bristol Tramways & Carriage Company




Bristol Tramways & Carriage Company





The Tramway Depot was situated at the top of Hill Street, virtually opposite Kingswood Library (now modern flats) was home for nineteen of Bristol's fleet of trams.

Bristol's once mighty tram fleet is to be scrapped and replaced by buses
On the evening of Friday 11th April 1941, Bristol was under blitz.

The last Kingswood tram was heading home to the depot, up Two Mile Hill, into Regent Street, and past the Clock Tower. Suddenly the lights went out and the car ground to a halt. The St. Philips Bridge Power Station had been bombed and all power to the trains had been disconnected.

Left without power, driver Webster and conductor Brittan decided to push - one or two onlookers joined in and soon the tram was sailing down High Street to the depot.

The handbrake wasn't applied until the tram had swung through the depot gates; and onto the tightly curved fan outside the main shed.

This blitz marked the end of the Bristol Tramway System and all the remaining cars were eventually towed to the Kingswood Depot and destroyed.

Late in 1940 the Government asked the Bristol Tramway Company to undertake the assembly of imported army vehicles.

Kingswood depot (owing to the withdrawal of the trams) became available early in 1941 and a large assembly shed was erected in record time on the adjoining allotments.

A staff, many from Ireland, was organised and when production had got into full swing a peak output of 240 vehicles per week was reached and kept going.

Vehicle types assembled covered the whole range from jeeps to snow ploughs and up to 40-ton tank transporters and during the course of the contract 44,000 vehicles were assembled for the British, United States and Canadian armies.

In 1947 the company was asked to manage the Ministry of Supply's engine repair programme and this was undertaken at the Kingswood works until the project closed down in 1959.

During the 12 year period 75,000 engines of 55 different types were overhauled.

'Not one Bristol tram was saved ? - No one complete Bristol tram exists today'

Kingswood Depot had been converted to include a breaking yard with scrap sidings laid on the allotments to the rear of the depot.

A large hole had been made in the depot wall and tracks had been extended on to the sidings for the trams to come finally to rest. But the 'Funeral Run' as this became known, was not at all popular with local people.

Trams en route to Kingswood for breaking were mobbed and at least 10 were to receive such extensive damage that the depot had to despatch crews to tow in the wrecked vehicles. One tram caught fire and another had the control handle removed and had to be driven with the aid of a bicycle spanner.

There was accommodation for forty trams on the sidings and they were destroyed at the rate of one per day 97 number 208 being the first to be dismantled.

The body was loosened and was pulled over before being burnt.

Top deck seats were sold as garden benches and the metal that remained after burning was sold as scrap.

The work was started in a portion of Lysaght's works, but Lysaghts themselves were just starting tank production and soon wanted the shed that was being used for vehicle assembly.









bristol accommodation







Similar posts:

bunbury accommodation

stow lodge hotel stow on the wold

white house inn and spa napa

hotel las vegas booking

drury inn and suites san antonio northwest

hotel jobs in orange county

hotel harmony gent

cheap hotel london victoria

modern hotels in rome



tag : bristol accommodation paradise inn hotel key west motel

Comments

Private comment